History

                St. John M.B.C. was organized in 1874, in the log cabin home of Mr. Frank Young.  It was later moved to another location owned by Mr. Pete Fields.  There they met in another log cabin used as a school during the week and church on Sunday.  The church was known as Oak Grove Baptist Church.

            In 1898, one acre of land was donated jointly to the Church and Mosier Valley Masonic Lodge.  Each group then began raising money to build a church and a hall.  After having some difficulty raising the money for two gildings, they decided to build one two story building.  The church held its meetings downstairs and the masons held their meetings upstairs.  Under the leadership of Pastor Jim Carroll, the congregation voted to change its name from Oak Grove Baptist Church to St. John Missionary Baptist Church.

            In 1911, they built their own building on this present spot under the leadership of Pastor H.C. Curry.  A cornerstone was laid to commemorate that work on November 15, 1915.

            In 1958, the old church was moved to the back spot and a new brick church building was started under the leadership of Pastor F. D. Hemphill.  The building was completed with the cornerstone being laid by the Mosier Valley Masonic Lodge in July 1960.  God has been good to us.  He ha brought us from a log cabin to a frame building to a brick building.  For that, we are thankful.

            In March 1964, the members of St. John called Rev. Lloyd G. Austin as Pastor.  With God’s help and Pastor Austin’s leadership we have been able to move forward in spirit, membership, finance and fellowship.  Under Pastor Austin’s leadership, the church building that was started under Pastor Hemphill was completed.  Repairs were made to this building, equipment updated and an annex was added.  In 2002, a 6,240 square feet L.G. Austin Family Life Center was completed and a cornerstone was laid to commemorate the history and to serve as a reminder of the events that took place during this time.  Pastor Austin retired from St. John Baptist Church in August 2005 after serving 41 years as Pastor.  God still had a plan for St. John.

            On June 4, 2006, Dr. Johnny Ray Noble preached his first sermon as the new pastor of St. John Baptist Church.  Pastor Noble believes that the church is the agent of healing in the world, reconciliation and peace through showing love for Christians and those who are lost.  In his belief that people must be touched where they are and moved to action, St. John grew in membership and twenty-five people came to know Christ as their Lord and Savior. 

            Rev. Noble was instrumental in establishing a vision for the church, transitioning auxiliaries to ministries.  Under his leadership he instituted the national ‘Angel Food Ministries’, trained and ordained preachers, granted Emeritus Status, developed church logo and motto, created a mission statement and incorporated St. John with the State of Texas.  We are now called ‘St. John Missionary Baptist Church of Mosier Valley’.  He also incorporated a Praise and Worship Team into morning worship, restructured New Members Orientation and seated an active Trustee Board that included women.

            After 134 years of existence, the members of this church have come to realize that this church is solid.  The ground that it sits on is solid.  The leadership and the membership is solid.  For we are forever mindful of just what our God can do.  We realize as the songwriter once wrote that ‘our hope is built on nothing less, that Jesus’ blood and righteous; we dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name. On Christ the solid rock we stand all other ground is sinking sand.’  St. John Missionary Baptist Church is built on that rock and has been that way since its very existence.  Some have fallen short and have fallen by the wayside, but despite our shortcomings and our sins, the church has continued to stand a foundation built on that Rock.

            For the last nine months (September 2008 – May 16, 2009), the church has been without a shepherd.  However, we remained prayerful and obedient to God’s word and on May 17, 2009 God blessed St. John with a new shepherd Rev. Sean Anthony Taylor.  Rev. Taylor is continuing the St. John vision of spreading the Gospel to all nations through evangelism, discipleship, worship, fellowship and ministry seeking the least, the lost and the last.

            On May 31, 2009, Rev. Taylor preached his first sermon, ‘God’s Stimulus Package’.  He then joined the St. John family and graciously asked his wife if she too would have him as her pastor and her response was “yes”.    In the short time that Pastor Taylor has been with us, he has redefined our church motto to ‘The Church that Integrates Faith with Living’.  We wait in anticipation of what God has in store for St. John Missionary Baptist Church under Pastor Taylor’s leadership.

To learn more about the history of St. John and Mosier Valley click on the following link:

http://www.eulesstx.gov/history/narratives/MosierValley.htm

Click the link below to read an article that was in Jet about Pastor Austin.  It describes what he and his wife endured when moved to Riverside Community in Forth Worth in 1956. 

Pastor Austin